On Monday I will begin my new job. As I’ve mentioned before, I will be working as a Technology Resource Specialist as well as teaching a couple of classes. As always, I am nervous and excited for the first day of school, and eager to meet a new group of students. As an educator, I often find myself repeating the same icebreakers each year, trying to quickly get to know my students through “Two Truths and a Lie” or a “Getting To Know You” fact sheet.
In an effort to bring my own classroom to the present, I’ve put together a list of 10 icebreakers that use technology and fit with 21st century students:
- Have students create a Pinterest board with 10 pins that summarizes them.
- Ask students to create a 30 second podcast that introduces themselves. Then allow students to present them or play them on separate devices as an audio gallery.
- Create a classroom blog and ask each student to write a blog post introducing themselves to the rest of the classroom.
- Have students create a quick comic strip to describe themselves or to recreate a recent funny moment in their lives.
- Use PollEverywhere to ask students interesting questions and get to know them as a class, like their favorite subjects, bands or TV shows.
- Use GoogleForms or SurveyMonkey to survey students about their interests, academic inclinations, and background info – a 21st century alternative to the “Getting to Know You” info sheet!
- Have students create word clouds to describe themselves and share with the rest of the class.
- Have students go on a QR code scavenger hunt in teams to get to know each other and learn about your classroom rules in a fun, engaging way.
- Ask students to create their own Voki avatars that introduce themselves to the class. Encourage them to be creative with the backgrounds, characters and details of the avatar to reflect their own personalities and preferences.
- Have students create graffiti online that speaks to their interests and personalities and share with the class.
- Have students create mashup videos of themselves with Weavly to introduce their interests to the class.
Have any other 21st century icebreakers? Please share them below in the comments, I would love to hear from you. Wishing everyone a great first day of school!